Translate

Thursday, March 26, 2015

More Doily and Easter Egg

I'm making steady progress on Renulek's 2015 Spring Doily. This scan was taken after round 6.


I'm now a couple rounds behind, but that is partly by design.  When I was keeping up and completing the rounds as they were being published, I found some tips on other blogs that would have been helpful.  I couldn't take advantage of those tips because I was already on the next round.  So I'm going to lag behind, let ya'll make the mistakes and publish tips. Then I'll swoop in and do the round the easiest way possible.  Does that make me a tatting cheater?

Another reason I've fallen behind is that other projects are always beckoning.  I have always loved Renulek's tatting embellished Easter eggs, so I'm in the process of making some.  I got these eggs at Hobby Lobby and painted them to look like this.
  I added a couple layers of Mod Podge to seal in the color.  Then I tatted this pattern.  Here's how it turned out.

When I wrap it around the egg, it overlaps slightly, maybe because my eggs are not exactly the same size as Renulek's.  I'm not quite sure how to finish it off.  I'm thinking I can apply a layer of Mod Podge to the back of the tatting and glue it around the egg, then glue rings with 6 picots each to the top and the bottom to lace thread through.  Any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. I am sure your eggs will be beautiful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a cheater - more a genius I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jane, it's a great idea! Especially when you have other things to do to keep you busy :-) I love how your eggs look. I think your idea of finishing them off with a bit of glue to hold them in place is a good idea. I might try that, too, if I can find the time to do a few eggs - before Easter would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love your idea of deliberately lagging behind ! No point in re-inventing the wheel every time ;-P
    The eggs are going to turn out great - beautiful colour & lace.
    Victats has used whipped stitch to attach the lace to eggs . That is another option you might like to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You tatting cheater you! Just kidding - I kinda wish I'd done the same, but I'm obsessed with finishing now :). Your eggs will be beautiful - I love that pattern. I have a hard time getting anything to fit eggs and usually run out of time to get any done. How does Renulek do it?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I love the colors of your eggs...so nice! They will really set off the white tatting!

    I have been really admiring all the color combinations of those working on the Spring doily, but I also really appreciate your white version--there is something so delicate and lovely about a white doily, and yours is quite, quite nice! Keep up the good work...I may have to start this doily one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete